Friday 5 June 2015

The National Insurance Number (NIN) is a number used in the United Kingdom in the administration of the social security system, necessary if you wish to work in the UK. People born in the UK are assigned a NIN shortly before their 16th birthday, but people like me, coming from abroad, we need to apply for it to the Department of Work and Pensions.

I have applied for mine this morning and I am going to share with you how the application process works.
  • The first step is to apply for a NIN by calling 0345 600 0643 from Monday to Friday (8am-6pm). They will ask you some details such as your name, an address, telephone number, how long you've been in the UK, why you need a NIN, your nationality, if you have double nationality...
  • Schedule the appointment with the Jobcentre representative. Depending how busy the Jobcentre is, the appointment could be the following day... or in a weeks time. When I first called, they scheduled my appointment for the following day. I told them I could only make it on Fridays and they didn't have any slot that week. I was told that appointments were given week by week and that I should call the following week to schedule the appointment. However, I am not sure if this is entirely true because when I called the second time, we agreed to schedule the appointment in a weeks time. NOTE: Write down the reference number in case you need to reschedule the appointment.
  • The appointment will be at the closest Jobcentre to where you live. The one in Bristol city centre is at the Eagle House, 16 St Stephen's Street (BS1 1JR). The offices are open Monday to Friday (8.30am-5pm) and you will have to go to the second floor. There, you will be called by one of the agents. You will be asked to provide your passport and a proof of address (a utility bill, for example) during the interview so make sure you bring it. They will also ask you for all the addresses where you have lived during your time in the UK, so remember to bring them too.
  • You will receive your NIN at the address you have provided within two weeks. Make sure you don't lose it!

My appointment was at 8.30am but do not arrive earlier as the Jobcentre will be closed. It was the best excuse to have a coffee at the beautiful coffee-shop opposite the Jobcentre. At sharp 8.30am, door opened. Personally, the process of applying the NIN was a very fluent process and the agent was a very kind and friendly guy. I haven't received my NIN yet so as soon as I have it, I would be able to certify that it arrives within two weeks. Bear with me! :)
Posted by Great little place called Bristol On Friday, June 05, 2015 No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your message...

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Email
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

Instagram


Like us on Facebook!

Twitter



Translate