Sunday 28 April 2013

I will probably not share anything else Pope Benedict XVI preached but I do agree with this statement about the organ:


"The organ has always been considered, and rightly so, the king of musical instruments, because it takes up all the sounds of creation and gives resonance to the fullness of human sentiments, from joy to sadness, from praise to lamentation. (...) The organs great range of timbre, from piano through to a thundering fortissimo, makes it an instrument superior to all other. It is capable of echoing and expressing all the experiences of human life."

Last Friday, I saw The Lord Mayor's Chapel opened to the public. I never pass by College Green during its opening hours, so it was quite unusual for me to see it opened. Actually, I thought it was not even an active chapel. That's probably why it is often called "the hidden gem". So, I went in.


Built in 1230AD, it was a chapel to St. Mark's Hospital founded by Maurice de Gaunt, which was served by a number of clergy and lay brother. In 1450 Henry VIII sequestrated it and city fathers had to purchase the buildings and lands from him. The chapel's building is the only building left now.

The inside of the chapel is charming, very warm and cosy. Very well preserved and quiet. Not too big, not too small either.


As I always do in every church I visit (occupational habit, probably), I went directly to admire the organ. It is hidden at the very end of the aisle. The organist started his rehearsal at that exact moment I was there so that I could fully enjoy it. However, it did not sounded as it was in shape. Apparently, the organ has not been radically refurbished for more than 50 years. They are hoping it keeps working until funds are available to undertake the work needed (estimated in £300.000) to maintain the beautiful traditional instrument.


Name: The Lord Mayor's Chapel
Location: BS1 5TB
Opening hours: Wednesday to Sunday, 10am-4pm
Entrance: Free
Posted by Great little place called Bristol On Sunday, April 28, 2013 No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your message...

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Email
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

Instagram


Like us on Facebook!

Twitter



Translate