Wednesday 23 October 2013

If you search Cook Islands on Google, it will point one green relatively small island in the Pacific Ocean. However, Cook Islands comprises not one but 15 small islands with about 100,000 visitors travelling to them in 2011. 

When I read about the Rugby League World Cup 2013, I realised our teachers didn't emphasize enough on geography. Although, being such a little country in the middle of the ocean... I don't think it is such a big deal not to know where they are (I don't make people feel guilty when they know where the Basque Country is either!). 

Let's go back to the main point: Cook Islands is playing against USA in the Memorial Stadium in Bristol next Wednesday 30th October at 8pm. I know nothing about rugby so it will be an interesting evening. Lucky me, I will go with someone who understands about the topic and I will be able to ask the silliest questions I can come up with.

Cook Islands players arrived to Bristol yesterday, a week ahead of the World Cup match, and they have already taken a picture with their flag in front of the City Hall (see here). Tomorrow 24th October, they will be coaching some pupils at Mangotsfield School and you will also get a chance to see players training at SGS Filton Wise Campus at 9.30am. On Friday, there will be a coaching master class at SGS Filton Wise Campus at 7.30pm.

I am new in this field. I will start my research around rugby right now. General information, rules, players... and try to surprise my friends with some comments. We will see how it works. As you can see in the picture, there is an exhibition that I have already visited in the lobby of the Central Library in College Green. Interesting as a background knowledge. 
And I think I will support USA. I have some very good Basque-American  friends (who I miss very much, by the way!) over there and I have also been part of the USA team in the
Mundial Pelota Vasca held in Pau (France) last 2010. So, it makes sense, right?



There are some tickets available on the
official website (10 pounds) and student can get the same tickets half price.





I read this sentence somewhere, a good way to finish the post: 

"Rugby is like war; easy to start, difficult to stop... and impossible to forget"

I will let you know next week if that sentence applies to me too. :)


OTHER LINKS
-----------------

http://www.bristol.gov.uk/page/our-city-news/2013-10/flag-welcomes-cook-islands-rugby-league-team
http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/World-CupVisiting-players-Cook-storm-clash/story-19968033-detail/story.html
Posted by Great little place called Bristol On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your message...

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Email
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

Instagram


Like us on Facebook!

Twitter



Translate