Friday 28 June 2013

The other day I had lunch at Turtle Bay, in Broad Quay. The restaurant group was founded by Bristol-based Ajith Jayawickrema in 2011 and has other restaurants in Milton Keynes, Nottingham and Southampton. This has been my first experience with caribbean food. 

Although it was Friday lunch time, the place was not busy. Some curious people approached and checked the menu, but did not make up their mind. Customers inside on the other hand, it was obvious that it was their first time in the restaurant; they were checking the decoration, taking too long with the menu...

When I went into the restaurant, waitresses were very attentive and nice. They told me I had to take a seat first and then go to the bar to order the food. As I love duck, I chose Duck Rolls as a starter and the main course 'Pulled Jerk Pork Bun'. (Check the menu here

They asked me whether I wanted to pay at that moment or after having lunch. I chose the second option. To my surprise, they asked my credit card anyway and store it in a plastic case whose key was given to me. Confusing. Maybe they had loads of customers that ran away after having lunch and before paying the bill, I don't know. The fact is that my credit card was not in my wallet anymore.

I sat outside as the weather was good. I didn't have to wait much before rolls arrived. Rolls were very tasty, although not many in my opinion, for the price I paid (almost 4.95). There was a very nice and tasty orange chutney to dip rolls in. The main dish arrived right after finishing the starter, which was basically a burger. Nothing special, really. In my opinion, 6 pounds for a simple pork burger was excessive.

I have heard very good comments about the restaurant and perhaps I didn't choose the right dishes, but this first experience with the Caribbean food has been far from what I expected.

Turtle Bay website: http://www.turtlebay.co.uk/
Posted by Great little place called Bristol On Friday, June 28, 2013 No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your message...

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Email
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

Instagram


Like us on Facebook!

Twitter



Translate