Tuesday 20 August 2013

Time flies, that's a fact. It's been two years already since I first stepped on this country and it is unbelievable how fast it went. 2 years, 24 months, 104 weeks, 730 days. Time goes fast, and we must make the best of it. They say "time and tide wait for no man" (or woman), and that's exactly what I have done: enjoy it as much as possible.

Studying in the UK has provided me an easy way to get to know people from all over the globe. I have met many English, Irish and Scottish (no Welsh! Why?) from whom I have learnt and improved upon my English, but also French, Spanish, Basque, Catalonian, Palestinian, Indian, Latvian, Italian... and probably many more nationalities I cannot think of right now. I have laughed with most of them, cried with some, shared all my secrets with few and kissed just a couple. But loved them all!!

My eating habits have changed too, as I discovered new food here. I have never heard of the rhubarb before, and despite its look, it is surprisingly tasty. I have learnt uncountable amount of English names for berries (blueberry, blackberry, raspberry, strawberry, cranberry, blackcurrant, redcurrant...) for which I don't have enough equivalent Spanish or Basque translation. Bulgur, quinoa and couscous have become alternative ingredients for my rice recipes, and international food such as houmous and fajitas are now more than familiar. I have also bought a British cooking book which has more recipes than I expected!

I have travelled around the country as if miles were kilometres and distance just an illusion. Five-hour bus travel for a one-day visit. Leeds, Oxford, London, York, Manchester, Cardiff, Dover, Brighton... Just crazy! 
I have spent my birthday in Peak District, with a hell of a weather, on a 14-mile walk with some friends who convinced me it was the best plan for my 25th birth anniversary. Also, I went to Manchester (which is a three-hour drive) right after class to witness the best match I have ever watched, where my team Athletic Club Bilbao beat Manchester United. 

I have become a more active person. I have taken up salsa classes, played in a music band and start up my French again. My interest for running blossomed during these two years, and I have also experimented with climbing. I have been in many concerts and festivals in fancy dresses and have been cider-tasting too. I have hosted couch surfers and participated in English-Spanish language exchanges.

I have felt very English during this time. I have suffered a terrible English summer, but a sunny charming one as well. I have complained about the weather as much as any local English person: when it was too hot, because it was too hot; when it was rainy, because it was rainy. I got excited with the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games and I have tried to predict the name of the Royal Baby when he was born some weeks ago. I got used to having lunch at 12pm, and dinner around 7pm.

Nevertheless, there are some things which will never change. I will never get used to missing my family and friends back home, I will neither wear tight short dresses to go out (as some British girls do), and I will always prefer a glass of kalimotxo rather than a pint of cider/beer.
Posted by Great little place called Bristol On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 2 comments

2 comments:

  1. thank you for including us in your life! i can remember many of those momments with you, and many more to come ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. one of your toughest trip was coming to see me!! and then back again without sleeping!!

    next stop... Peter!! =D

    ReplyDelete

Leave your message...

  • RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Email
  • Linkedin
  • Youtube

Instagram


Like us on Facebook!

Twitter



Translate